Now when you view your display campaigns' settings in Yandex.Direct, you can set bid adjustments from -100% to +1200% for specific traffic types.
The first type is limited to just smartphones, whereas the second covers desktop computers, laptops, tablets and Smart TVs.
This means that you can run separate ad campaigns for smartphones and for other devices with completely different creatives, bids, and targeting settings.
When setting bid adjustments for smartphones, you have the additional option of choosing an operating system if you are specifically interested in Android or iOS users. You can, of course, leave the default settings and thereby target all mobile operating systems.
Why should I have separate mobile campaigns?
1. To solidify your presence where users are spending more and more of their time — on mobile devices.
Data from Yandex.Metrica indicates that 44.5% of site visits come from smartphones, and Mediascope claims that Russia's "mobile only" audience amounts to 24%. This means that if users don't see your ads on their mobile devices, they come into contact with your brand far less often than they do with your competitors. What's more, 1 in 4 users could completely lose contact with your brand.
2. To maximize personalization when targeting messages for each group.
By combining bid adjustments with the recently launched targeting by device types, you can increase the precision of your communications with different segments of your audience and address them with ad texts specific for each of them.
Reach forecasts in the interface help you assess the size of the audience of your selected segment, and your recommended CPM make it easy to choose the right bid.
Adapt your creatives to show users of different device types the most relevant ads. You can prepare texts specifically for users on smartphones to maximize your audience's response.
How bid adjustments work
You can set bid adjustments by device type at the ad group level, so there's no need to create a separate campaign with different bids for each traffic type — just make separate "mobile" and "desktop" ad groups.
Here's an example of how bid adjustments are calculated:
If your bid was 100 rubles, then setting a –100% bid adjustment for desktop devices will only leave smartphone traffic, whereas a +1200% adjustment will raise your bid to 1300 rubles.
Will it be possible to split performance campaigns by device type as well?
If display ads depend more on screen size, then most important for performance campaigns is the user's readiness to make a purchase (since they work with existing demand). As a result, adapting your performance ads and your landing pages to make them more mobile-friendly is very important, but splitting your campaigns by device type — not so much.
The lion's share of conversions and online sales are not simply mobile, but cross-device in nature. People generally start their searches on their smartphone when they see online or offline ads and want to find out more. It is quite common, however, that users then look for additional information on their desktop computer when they are at work or at home. As a result, it's better to not split your ad campaign, and definitely better not to exclude any traffic sources, so that users can quickly find you and continue on their way towards conversion.
Distributing an online store's conversions by device type
As you can see in the screenshot, if this advertiser stops showing ads on mobile devices, they risk losing not just 36% (2810) of mobile conversions, but some of their "mixed" conversions as well, where a purchase begins on one device and finishes on another, making up a total of 47% of all their conversions.
Yandex.Direct introduced algorithms that automatically adjust bids to help advertisers avoid both missing out on conversions as well as overpaying for them. These algorithms track the cost of your your campaigns' conversions and clicks and regulate your mobile bids in order to maintain your conversion costs at the level you are used to. In other words, the lower your conversion rate is on a specific device type, the cheaper your conversions will be.
Additionally, you can set negative bid adjustments up to –50% to regulate your conversion costs in relation to the effectiveness of your mobile traffic. But first we recommend that you take three simple steps to raising your overall number of conversions via mobile audiences:
- Create mobile ads. Select the "mobile" ad type when creating a new ad, and Yandex.Direct will show preference for this ad for impressions on smartphones. Other ways to use ads for mobile audiences to enhance your ad campaign including writing new ad texts, making separate landing pages, selecting different images or sitelinks — all of these steps will help you keep the peculiarities of mobile traffic in mind as you attract more customers.
- Designate your key goals and set values for them. Then Yandex.Direct can optimize purchases by raising or lowering bids based on the forecasted likelihood of conversion for the goals you indicated. An example: you place a higher value on mobile users since they fulfill one of your key goals more often: placing calls.
- Create landing pages for your ads. Having a "lighter" page specifically for mobile screens can make it easier to gather leads and lower the loading time for users who visit your site from mobile devices.
You can likewise manage your display campaigns, including your bid adjustments by device type, in the Direct API.
For more information about managing different traffic types in display campaigns, read the corresponding help section.