Getting new users is great, but for most businesses, this isn't the real goal. At the end of the day, it's sales that matter. To help advertisers reach their real end goals, we have made it possible to optimize other types of conversions than app installs, e.g. subscriptions, orders, etc.
Advertisers who participated in closed testing of this feature saw their conversions increase. Here's just one of the cases: an app owner in the "Parenting" category was able to increase their conversions by more than 40% in a week.
What they did:
- Instead of optimizing app installs, they set post-install registration in the app as their target action.
- Set a conversion cost of 50 RUB.
- CPA remained (other than the first week while the strategy adapted).
- The number of weekly conversions grew from 164 to 235.
Another example: Starting from April 18, an online store promoting their app set a target CPA of 10 EUR. In the following weeks, CPA leveled out just as the advertiser expected Yandex.Direct to make happen.
How to set up conversion optimization
- enable transmission of e-commerce events,
- select which events to transmit,
- and choose the names under which they will be visible in the Yandex.Direct interface.
For your ease, we have made a standard list of common event names, e.g. "Added to cart", "Made a purchase" or "Completed registration." If you don’t see an appropriate label in the list for your event, you can always name your target "Custom events."
Step 2. Once you enable transmission, you will be able to see data about e-commerce events in Report Wizard in Yandex.Direct.
Step 3. Select a goal in the settings of the Conversion optimization strategy:
Yandex.Direct needs data in order to successfully optimize conversion costs in the app. The system does not set specific limits for the minimum number of conversions, but to get off to a good start, it is better to select a goal that gets at least 50 conversions per week.
What to do if you don't have enough data for optimization
Option 1. The app gets less than 50 installs per week.
- It is possible that your weekly budget is insufficient for your target CPI. When setting your budget, make sure that it is high enough to cover 350 installs a week. If, for example, your target CPI is 100 RUB, then your weekly budget should be at least 35000 RUB.
- If you created lots of campaigns for one app, try combining them to gather data more quickly.
- Review you campaign to see what can be improved: your keyword list, consider adding targeting by interests, update your ad texts or images, etc.
Option 2. You've got enough installs, but other conversions are few and far between.
Try focusing your optimization on a different type of conversion. Select a goal one level higher in the sales funnel that gets at least 50 conversions a week, e.g. instead of placing an order, you can optimize adding products to the cart. Many advertisers have said this is helpful.
Give the new strategy a try, track your campaigns' performance and share your success stories with us!