Ads in the Yandex Advertising Network can be divided into two types: display ads and text and image ads. The difference is that display ads consist of ready-made advertiser creatives, while text and image ads are generated automatically based on data provided (images, videos, texts, links, callouts, and other ad extensions).
To make text and image ads more attractive and profitable, we experiment with designs. We test different layouts, types of ad elements, datasets, and button fonts and colors.
New ad designs for mobile apps only used to appear when a new SDK version was released. However, rolling out the SDK on user devices was tied to the app release cycle and could take additional time. That time, among other things, was spent on app moderation in stores and users downloading updates from stores themselves. Because of this, new designs wouldn't appear in apps right away.
Starting with the Yandex Mobile Ads SDK version 5, we've solved this problem. New ad designs will appear in your apps immediately. Ad layouts are made right on the server and no app updates are necessary.
To make this possible, we've implemented DivKit technology in the new SDK version.
DivKit is a cross-platform technology developed by Yandex, which creates the layout of the app interface on the server and doesn't require a new release.
DivKit is already a successful part of different Yandex apps and services, such as Yandex Zen and Alice's cards. Now it will also be used for displaying ads in mobile apps.
In the new SDK version, DivKit works in the Interstitial and Rewarded video formats. We'll be adding support for banners soon.
Other important SDK changes
- Video ads can preload now. This helps to avoid a "black screen" when the user's internet connection is unstable.
- SDK initialization and the initial ad response now take less time.
- The connection to AppMetrica that's needed for serving ads is made together with the Mobile Ads SDK integration, and doesn't require any additional setup.
- The process of integrating In-Stream video ads when using ExoPlayer is much simpler now. Learn more in Help.
- There is now a message about counted impressions (the onImpression method in the API). It helps you know when all the conditions for correct ad display are met.
- There is now a message about ad clicks (the onAdClicked method in the API).
Useful links for Android:
- We now support the arm64 simulator architecture for using the Yandex Mobile Ads SDK on laptops with an M1 processor.
- We switched to xcframework, which is a fast and convenient way to integrate libraries.
- We added support for the AppMetrica SDK version 4.0.0 and higher. In version 4.0.0, you can set the user profile ID when or before you activate the master key, as well as when you activate the reporter. We added properties for automatically tracking the opening of apps from deep links and for automatically collecting data on in-app purchases, as well as for Conversion Value management.
- We added support for a single API method that returns information about ad clicks. Now, instead of two methods, one API method is available for all ad formats.
Useful links for Android: