This section contains answers to frequently asked questions about Yandex Map Editor:
- Why is the satellite image so unclear?
Unfortunately, not all areas have detailed satellite images. This is especially true in rural areas.
Currently, there are high-quality images for all cities in Russia and a significant number of cities in Ukraine and Belarus.
If you want to draw a territory, but there is no detailed image, please let us know. We will keep your comments and suggestions in mind.
Do not forget that even when you use a low detail satellite image, you can draw the main highways, reservoirs, and outlines of settlements (for more information, see Section 2.3.1. Satellite images.
We are constantly working to improve satellite coverage.
- Why do some items have to be drawn at large scales?
You must use large scale maps to draw items in as much detail as possible.
Therefore, drawing and editing functions are only available at those scales.
Furthermore, each type of item has its own range of optimal scales for drawing and editing.
- Can I draw “secret map items”?
- The rules prohibit drawing these types of items. If you draw them, you will be breaking Russian law and infringing on the User Agreement for Yandex Services. Moderators will delete such map items.
- How detailed can the map be? Should I draw individual garages or trees?
The level of map detail is only really limited by the quality of the satellite image.
If the image is of high quality, then you can even draw minor items: small structures, reservoirs, etc.
However, you do not need to draw individual trees on the territory of woodlands. Rather, you should outline the area of vegetation in its entirety.
The same goes for garages: you can draw individual garages, but it is best to draw one item if the garages are part of a larger complex.
- How do I draw buildings?
The main rule is that you should draw buildings based on their foundations (not their roofs). If you trace the roof, it will be displaced on the larger map scheme (because satellite images are taken at an angle to the ground), resulting in buildings that overlap with the road or neighboring buildings. The best way to map buildings is to trace the roof contour and then drag it to the foundation location. Click here for more information.
- How do I draw a locality?
Draw localities based on their borders: trace its official borders (if you know where they are located), or else use the borders of building developments. Click here for more information.
- What language should I write names in?
You can enter names in various languages and use various types of names (official, former, etc.). Read about rules for entering names here.
If you want to find a specific numbered point in the Mapping Rules, copy the link to the parent division and add a double underscore followed by the number for the specific point (or sub-point).
For example, a link to point 18.104.22.168. of the Mapping Rules will look like this:
- https://support.qloud.yandex.ru/support/nmaps/cat_air_rul1.html#cat_air_rul1 ─ link to the subsection
- ____22.214.171.124 ─ the extension that links to point 126.96.36.199.
- How quickly will I see my edits appear on Yandex.Maps?
Yandex has high quality standards for the data on its maps, which is why the moderation process takes some time (on average, two weeks).
Please note: if you want your edits to end up on Yandex.Maps, they should correspond to the Mapping rules.
- Can I enter map item coordinates manually?
You can not enter coordinates when you create a new item. Coordinates can only be used to search for a map item.
- Can I automatically search for drawing mistakes?
No, that is not an option.
- Can I post items that were drawn on my website?
- Yes, you can use the Yandex.Maps API to do this.
If you didn't find the answer to your question, you can ask our customer support staff.