4.7. Mapping rules: Japan
This section contains mapping rules which apply specifically to Japan.
4.7.1. Rules for adding attributes to addresses
The “official” name of the address is set as “Block No. — House No.” (where the block is the chome division unit), and the name of the “Also known as” type can be listed in hieroglyphs.
- Official: 1—1
- Also known as: 1番1号
4.7.2. Administrative division
Hierarchy levels for administrative divisions:
Level 2: Prefecture (analogous to region). Japan is divided into 47 prefectures.
- Subprefecture (six prefectures are divided into subprefectures).
- District (subprefectures are divided into districts).
Level 3 divisions don't cover the entire country.
- City, town, village.
- Special wards of Tokyo and development areas.
Level 4 divisions cover the entire country.
- Are drawn along the borders of the development.
- Have names that can be found in the municipality card.
- Have municipalities as parent divisions.
Level 5: City district.
Level 6: Historical region, district, block, named intersection.
Level 7: Block.
- Check Municipality for all level 4 items except development areas.
- When divided into chomes, the numbers in the local name should be written in Chinese rather than Arabic numerals: 〇 一 二 三 四 五 六 七 八 九 十.