Using the Sitemap file
Sitemap is a file with links to site pages. The file informs search engines about the current site structure. Yandex supports XML and TXT formats. The XML format enables you to pass additional information.
Do I need a Sitemap file?
Yandex develops special algorithms for the indexing robot to learn about the site. For example, with internal and external links from one page to another. Sometimes the robot can skip pages. Use the Sitemap file if your site has:
- A large number of pages.
- Pages without navigation links.
- Deep nested structure.
Formats supported by Yandex
The date of the last page update (the lastmod element).
Frequency of the page updates (the changefreq element).
The importance of the page (the priority element). Specify the value for the URLs that are most important for your site.
<?xml version = "1.0" encoding = "UTF-8"?> <urlset xmlns="http://www.sitemaps.org/schemas/sitemap/0.9"> <url> <loc>http://www.example.com/page1.html</loc> <lastmod>2005-01-01</lastmod> <changefreq>monthly</changefreq> <priority>0.8</priority> </url> ... </urlset> ... </xml>
Tp pass information about videos, in the Sitemap file specify the links to XML feeds (for more information, see ).
- Use UTF-8 encoding. The Yandex robot recognizes the Cyrillic URLs both in original and encoded format.
- The file can contain a maximum of 50,000 URLs, and must not exceed 10 MB in uncompressed format. If your Sitemap doesn't meet these requirements, divide it into multiple files and list them in a Sitemap index file.
- Specify the links only to the pages of the domain where the file will be located.
- Place the file on the same domain as the site that it was created for.
- When the file is accessed, the server must return the HTTP code 200 OK.
How do I create the file?
- Define canonical URLs for the pages that will be included in the Sitemap file. This is necessary if the site has multiple pages with similar information.
- Select the format and create the file with one of the third-party resources.
- Check the file with the Sitemap file analysis tool.
- Specify the file link in the robots.txt file or in the Sitemap files section in Yandex.Webmaster.