You can control whether third-party apps can access your account using app passwords. For example, a password that you create for your mail client doesn't allow access to Yandex.Disk using the WebDAV protocol. No app password grants account management access.
You can create app passwords on the Account management page. When two-factor authentication is enabled, app passwords are required and can't be disabled.
You will need to create a separate password for each third-party application or program that requires you to enter your Yandex password. These include:
- email clients (Mozilla Thunderbird, Microsoft Outlook, The Bat!, etc.);
- WebDAV client for Yandex.Disk
- CardDAV-client for syncing Yandex.Mail contacts with a mobile device
- CalDAV client for Yandex.Calendar
- Jabber client (Pidgin, Adium, etc.);
- mail importers for other mail services (Mail.ru, Gmail, Outlook.com and others)
To create an app password:
- Go to Account management.
- In the Passwords and authorization section, select Enable app passwords. Confirm the action and click Create new password.
If two-factor authentication is enabled, click Create app password.
- Select the type of application.
- Come up with a name for the password. For example, you can use the name of the application that you are creating a password for. The password will be shown with this name in the list.
- Click Create. The app password will appear in a pop-up window.
Resetting application passwords
All application passwords that you created get reset in the following cases:
- You change a password (with two-factor authentication disabled)
- You enable or disable two-factor authentication
- You restore access to your account yourself or with the help of our Support staff
- You followed the Log out on all devices link on the Account management page.
Every app password you use must be re-generated following any of these events.