“Search engines” report
This report contains information about search engines that brought visitors to your site.
To view the report:.
An example of this report is available for the Yandex.Metrica demo tag.
- utm_medium with the value organic.
- utm_source. Set the search engine name as the value.
- yandex — For Yandex search.
- google — For Google search.
- go.mail.ru — For Mail.ru search.
If you specify a value in the UTM tag for utm_source that isn't listed above, Yandex.Metrica will assign the sessions to the source Other search engine: determined by tags.
Ways to use this report
- Find the Sessions that condition group and click .
- Select the condition.
- Specify the webpage URL.
You can find out which search engines bring in more users and which attract fewer. This will help you adjust how your site is promoted in search results.
To do this, just expand the tree structure.
All of this data can be derived from your website's bounce rate. The higher the bounce rate, the less the site is engaging users (bounces are users who leave within 15 seconds of looking at a single page).
To do this, select the segment with the URL of the specific page:
Report structure and settings
Search engine is the generic name of the service that performs a search. For example, Yandex.
Yandex.Metrica recognizes the following search engines:
- Alexa Web Search
- Babylon Search
- Coc Coc
- DAEMON search
- GMX Search Engine
- Live Search
- My Web Search
- Scrub The Web Search Engine
- 1&1 Search Engine
- Search HandyCafe
- Wikia Search
- Search engine (detailed) – a service that has a search bar. For example, Yandex.Market.
- Yandex Mobile – Traffic from the mobile version of the site.
- Yandex – Traffic from the desktop version of the site.
- Yandex, mobile app – Traffic from the mobile app.
- Yandex, offline search – Traffic from the search results available when the offline search option is enabled in the mobile app.
- Yandex Blog Search – Traffic from blog search results.
- Search query is the user's search query that displayed your site in search results. Search queries might not be shown in the report if traffic over the selected period is less than 10 users and a dimension or segment has been added to the report that potentially de-anonymizes users. For example, “Landing page”, “Age”, and so on. The report may also display less information if the search engine doesn't send data in the referrer
The report supports all settings available in Yandex.Metrica.
Yandex.Metrica uses the referrer and browser cookies to determine which keywords brought users to the site from Yandex Search. Cookies are placed on the domain that the user goes to from search results. Cookies have a limited period of validity. Yandex.Metrica may fail to detect a keyword for the following reasons:
- The cookie expired. For example, a user clicked a link from search results, left the page open for a long time, and then refreshed or closed it.
- The target page of the user's click in search results redirected the user to a different domain.
- The user's browser blocks cookies.