If users can search for a product, service, or information on your site, you can track this. The “Site search” goal helps you find out how often people use the search.
To do this, set a special goal in Yandex.Metrica. Yandex.Metrica recognizes addresses by the presence of q, text, query, or search. If the site uses a different parameter, you can manually specify it in the goal.
The goal will work if there is at least one match in the GET parameters. For example:
The goal is achieved when a request is sent with the specified parameter. To view goal statistics, use the Conversions report and add the goal to other Yandex.Metrica reports. In addition, you can view statistics on search phrases that people use on the site.
- In Yandex.Metrica, go to the Goals page in the left menu.
- Click Add goal.
- In the Name field, enter a name for the goal to create.
- Select the Site search goal type.
- Check which GET parameter is used for searching on your site.How to find the parameter
To find out which parameter is responsible for the site search, look at the URL of the page with the site search results:
In the example, the search phrase is sent in the parameter poisk.
- If it is q, text, query, or search, go to item 6.
- If it is something else, click Additional settings and in the field, specify the parameter.
- Click Add goal. The created goal will appear in the list of goals. Yandex.Metrica will start collecting statistics on it within a few minutes.
- You can check whether the goal is working in the Conversions report. Data should appear in it. To check, perform a target action on the site. If Don't count my sessions is set as a filter, check the goals on the site in the browser's private mode (for example, Incognito mode in Yandex Browser).
Statistics on search phrases used on the site
You can track statistics on the phrases that people use when searching for information on your site. Yandex.Metrica collects this data even if the goal “Site search” is not configured.
Use this report to:
- Track which product, service, or information is difficult to find on the site without searching.
- Find out which product, service, or information is in high demand.
- Use search information to optimize the site.
To create a report:
- Go to.
- Specify the segment.
- Select the URL parameter that is used for searching on the site. For example, q.
- Click Apply.
- This type of goal can't be used in Multi-step goals.
- The service registers a user that completes the same goal on the same tag no more than once per second.
- During a single user session, the service can register up to 400 completions of all the goals created for a tag.
- If you edit a tag or goal, previously collected information doesn't change.
- If you delete a goal, information collected for it, is no longer available in reports.