Setting a route
- Create route
- Routes with favorited points
- Choose your route
- Choose a route type
- See road snapshots along your route
- View an itinerary
- Change the direction of your route
- Extend your route
- Add a point to the middle of a route
- Move a point
- Change the order of points on a route
- Optimize the route
- Change the address of a point
- Send a notification to a mobile device
- Support service
Yandex.Maps knows how to set optimal routes between two points. You can:
Select a route option (for example, the fastest or simplest route)
If you encounter errors when setting a route, please report them to support.
Select a route type (by car, public transport, foot, bike, or taxi).
- For a driving route — See road snapshots along your route.
Send a notification (with route information) to mobile devices.
To set a route:
- Click Route:on the map orin the place card.
The Routes toolbar opens.
- In the Routes toolbar, enter your starting point () and destination ().
You can manually set points on the map or enter an address.
You can also add additional points to your route if necessary. Just click Add point in the toolbar and enter the point.You can enter a point by clicking it on the map or by typing in the address or geographical coordinates (more about the entry format). The coordinates automatically turn into an address as you type them.
After you set your starting point and destination, Yandex.Maps offers several possible routes. The first option (the one Yandex.Maps considers optimal) is displayed colored. The other routes are displayed in gray:
- For car, taxi, and public transport routes, the first option is colored according to the current traffic conditions on the route, and if there's no traffic data, it's shown as a purple line.
- For pedestrian routes, it's a dashed purple line.
- For bike routes, it's a green line (or blue if the route overlaps with a roadway).
When building a car route or public transport route, you can specify additional route parameters. Click Parameters and select the options:
For car routes:
- Show options without traffic — If enabled, the system doesn't factor in traffic when setting possible routes. If you are not building a route for the current time (see below), this option gets disabled.
- Avoid toll roads — If this option is enabled, the system sets possible routes that don't include any toll road segments.
Truck parameters — To create a route that factors in traffic restrictions for vehicles, depending on whether there are road signs or if it's physically impossible to enter an area, specify:
Note. If not all of the specified parameters were taken into account when setting a route (for example, it's impossible to get to the set point without passing a low bridge), a warning saying Not all truck parameters were used for routing is displayed in the route card. Click on the message to see the details.
- The actual (laden) weight, the maximum authorized mass, the axle load, and the load capacity limit (in tons).
- The height, width, and length (in meters).
- The emission class (from Euro 1 to Euro 6).
- Trailer truck — Enable this option if there is a trailer.
For public transport routes, you can specify your Transport preferences: select the types of transport you'd like to use. If there are adequate routes using these types of transport, they are added to the results displayed.
For driving and public transport routes, you can also set a date and time different from the current ones. Your route is created according to the specified departure time.
In this case, the route card displays the calculated arrival time.
To reset the settings, tap Now:
Routes display on the map (and in route cards where time estimates are included for each option):
Parts of the road that include tolls are marked using the local currency:,and so on.
Routes with favorited points
- Click Route:on the map orin the place card.
- Click From or To.
- In the list that opens, click the appropriate line:(Home),(Work),(Current location), or the line of the appropriate place.
The selected point is set as the starting point (or destination) of your route.
Choose your route
To select a route option, click on a route in the Routes toolbar or the line for that route on the map.
The route you choose is displayed on the map as a colored line, and as a blue line on the left in the Routes toolbar.
Choose a route type
You can select the type of route you want to plot: by car, on foot, by bike, by public transport (which may include walking sections), or by taxi.
Not all route types are available everywhere.
To select one, click the appropriate button in the Routes toolbar (from left to right: compare routes, driving, public transport, walking, cycling, riding a scooter or taxi):
When you click one of the buttons (select an option), your choice is marked as a blue circle.
If you change the route type, the routes that you previously set adjust according to your latest selection.
The itinerary type also changes.
The route creator works with all types of public transport that operate within city limits.
Walking routes can be set in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, and Kazakhstan.
See road snapshots along your route
If you set a driving route (no longer than 100 km), you'll see a player in the lower-left corner of the map showing a slideshow of road snapshots along that route (for more information, see Mirrors (road snapshots):
- Plot a driving route.
- A player will appear in the lower-left corner of the map:
- To start viewing, click.
- To switch to full-screen mode, click:
In full-screen mode, you can:
- Go back and forth through the feed of road snapshots by clicking the arrows:
- Share an image, report an error, or close the image (using buttons in the top right):
- See when the snapshot was taken (top left) and its location on the map (bottom left):
- Change the playback speed (click the button and select the desired speed):
View an itinerary
To view an itinerary, click See more in the route card.
A car itinerary is a list of segments along a route going in one direction that are separate from neighboring turns. The length, street name, and direction (straight, right, left, circular, or u-turn) is indicated for each route segment.
Change the direction of your route
After you set your starting point and destination (from A to B), you can switch your route direction (from B to A).
Click the arrow icon () between the two points.
If you change the direction, you will be rerouted.
Extend your route
You can extend a route by adding up to eight additional points to it.
- Click Add waypoint in the Routes toolbar.
A field appears where you can enter an additional point (“C”).
- Enter the position of your new point (for more information, see Create route).
You'll see possible routes in the results “А→B→C”.
To delete a point that you added, hover the cursor over the point you want to delete. To the right of it, you'll see the appropriate icon(Delete). Click it to re-set your route in accordance with conditions that you set:
Add a point to the middle of a route
You can add additional points to a car route that you set (these points aren't included in the list of route points on the Routes toolbar):
- Click on a point along a route.
- Hold the left mouse button and drag the point to the appropriate location. Your route and itinerary will adjust accordingly.
To delete an additional point, double-click on it.
Move a point
To move a route point, drag it to the appropriate place using the mouse.
If you drag the starting point or destination of your route to a new position, both the map and the Routes toolbar will display its new location. You will be automatically re-routed.
Change the order of points on a route
To change the order of points on a route consisting of more than two points, clickon the appropriate item in the list of points and drag that point to a new position. You will be automatically re-routed.
Optimize the route
You can automatically optimize a car, pedestrian, or public transport route if you plot it by four or more points.
To do this, click Optimize in the Routes toolbar.
The points on the route remain the same, but the order of going through them may change.
Change the address of a point
To change the address of a point on your route, click on the point address field and make your correction.
Send a notification to a mobile device
If you set a route or found a particular place on Yandex.Maps, you can send a notification, which contains information about the place or directions, to your mobile device.
To do this, clickSend to phone in the route card.
A notification will be sent to the phone number you specified in your Yandex ID. If the number is missing, add it to your account and then send the notification.
This function is not available for some complex routes (such as public transport routes passing three or more points).
To report a route error to the Yandex.Maps support service:
- Click Edit information in the itinerary.
A feedback form appears that corresponds to your route type.
- Select an appropriate option: Incorrect turn or I know a better route. The corresponding entry form opens.
- Depending on your choice:
Incorrect turn — Click on the route segment where you found the error and select a description from the menu that opens.
I know a better route — Draw your preferred route on the map.
- Fill out the fields in the form and click Send.