4.1.1. Naming map items
All items on Yandex Map Editor have a “Name” attribute, even though some of them (such as forests) may not have names.
Rules for various types of items are described in Section 3. Global mapping rules.
188.8.131.52.1 Naming rules for all item types (for the English version)
- Proper names of items are never enclosed in quotation marks unless otherwise specified in the rules for drawing that item type in Yandex Map Editor.
- The words “named for ("imeni" in Russian)” and “in memory of / memorial” are handled as follows:
“As with other parts of proper names, transliterate the word "imeni"”. However, if there is a standard English translations for a proper name that does not include "imeni", enter the standard translation instead. For example: Moscow Canal (from канал имени Москвы in Russian)
“This rule also applies to caption names. ”“”;
for example: imeni V.I. Lenin, imeni Vorovskogo, imeni Red Army Day, Moscow Canal;
“The words "in memory of"” and “"memorial"” are always written out and capitalized in the names of all item types: “"In Memory Of"”, “"Memorial"”;
for example: 13 Bortsov Memorial, Ilich Memorial, Paris Commune Memorial.
- In following with English naming rules, capitalize the first letter of every word in the names of businesses and points of interest (even if it represents the type of item, rather than the proper name).
- Capitalize item types, prepositions, and conjunctions in toponyms (except for cases when the proper name of the administrative division begins with a preposition).
If a name includes numbers, then refer to official sources to see if that item has an official translation that represents the numbers in a particular way (i.e. if the numbers should be written out or represented as digits, and if Roman or Arabic digits should be used). In lieu of an official translation, transliterate the name and represent the digits as they are in the source.
For example: ulitsa XX Partsezda, pereulok 5-ya Liniya Voennoy Gorki, Pervaya ulitsa, poseyolok fabriki im. May 1, School № 862. Pervaya Diviziya Narodnogo Opolcheniya Moskvy, Perviy Kosmonavty Sq.
If you are transliterating names and map item types from Russian, it is preferable to use yo for Ё when applicable to distinguish it from E (but this is not mandatory).
Transliterate E in Russian with Ye at the beginning of words; otherwise use "e" in transliteration. If you change the letter Ё to an Е when entering Russian text, this is considered an error.
For example: City of Korolyov, Yolochka Kindergarten, Yekaterinburg, etc.
If the name of an item includes initials, then you shouldn't use a space between them.
For example: Prospekt im. V.I. Lenin (rather than V. I. Lenin).
You can't use parentheses in map item names unless otherwise specified in the rules for adding attributes to a layer (see Section 184.108.40.206.2.3).
The Republic of Sakha (Yakutia) and organizations whose name contains the proper name of the Republic.
Names of frontage roads (see point 220.127.116.11.1.4).
Names of airports and aerodromes with parentheses required for correct identification (these are listed in the Appendix Airfields with parentheses in their names).
- Names of administrative units that are written in brackets in the State Catalogue of Geographical Names of Russia (or similar documents for ex-USSR countries).
In some rare cases, employees can add or save existing item names, putting one of them in brackets.
18.104.22.168 Naming rules for Official names
The official name always includes the item type (and may include the organization's legal structure in particular).
The exception to this rule is for ground transport stops (see point 22.214.171.124.1).
126.96.36.199 Naming rules for Captions
Captions should generally consist of the map item name without its type.
For example: the official name City of Voronezh is written as Voronezh for the caption, Village of Severny — as Severny.
The following are exceptions to this rule:
- Names that include words in the genitive case (Village of Sovkhoznaya Station)
- Names that are a number (Section 25A, 14-th quarter, District 17);
- Names that are abbreviations ( SU-4,POS. NIIRP);
- Historical names (for example: Coastal settlement).