How to create an account
You need a Yandex account to access Yandex.Mail. If you do not have one, complete the following steps:
- Open the registration page.
- Enter your name and surname.
- Create or select a unique username, which you will use to log into Mail and other Yandex services.Attention. You cannot change your username after registration.
- Create and remember a password for accessing your account. Your password should be secure in order to prevent malicious users from accessing your personal data.
- Provide your mobile phone number. You can use this number to restore your password and get notifications, as well as as an alternative username. You can add your phone number later on the Mobile numbers page. If you do not want to enter a phone number, click I don't have a phone, choose a security question and enter your answer to it. These details are required for password recovery.
- Enter the characters you see in the image (this is to protect against automatic registration).Note. If the image isn't clear enough for you to recognize the characters, click Another code and try again.
- Make sure you select the checkbox to confirm that you accept the terms of the User Agreement and allow your personal data to be processed.
- Click Register.
After registering, your email address will consist of your username, @, and the yandex.com domain (or one of its domain aliases). For example: firstname.lastname@example.org. The domain alias is determined automatically during registration.
How to change your username
You cannot change the username you created at registration with Yandex, but you can register a new one. To do this, click Log out of Yandex in your account menu in the top-right corner, and click Log in in the window that opens.
Click Create account on the page that opens.
Coming up with a reliable password
A good password is hard to guess or crack using brute force.
Never disclose your account password to anyone. The more people know your password, the higher the odds of it getting into the hands of scammers.
To create a secure password, use:
Both upper and lower case Latin letters.
'are not allowed.
What makes a password weak?
Here is a list of things you definitely shouldn't use for your password:
Passwords that you already use on other sites or apps. If someone found out the password you use for your social network, they would not only try to log into Yandex, but also other social networks, email services, and online banks.
Common words (
administrator) or predictable letter combinations (
Personal information easily accessible online: your name, birthday, passport number, etc. Even using your mother's maiden name would not be the best idea.
Special email addresses
If you do not want to provide your real email address when registering with online retailers, forums, or other resources, add "+" to your username and any word that helps you recognize the website. So, for example, this is how the aforementioned address would look: email@example.com. Messages sent to this address will be filtered into the Spam folder of your real mailbox.
A special Yandex mailbox will also help to re-register on the site. For example, if you forgot the password to an account and cannot recover it.
Phone number instead of a username
The phone number linked to the account can be used as an alternative username. To set this up, go to the Mobile numbers page and enable the use phone number as username option.
Each phone number may only be used as an alternative username for one account. In addition, only one alternative username can be associated with each account, and only your primary phone number can be used as a username.
For example, if you made +1 564 123-45-67 your alternative username, now you can:
Enter your phone number (just the digits, such as 15641234567) everywhere you need to enter your Yandex username.
One exception to this rule is on the Restore access page, where you have to enter the exact username that you used at registration.
Use firstname.lastname@example.org as your mail alias.
Features of mail with an alternative username
To send a message to this type of alias address, you can enter the number in any format (without spaces). Yandex.Mail recognizes both +email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
Emails sent to this address will end up in your Yandex.Mail inbox. The address will stop working if you disable the alternative username and unlink the number from the account.
If the phone number is transferred to a different person and the new owner connects it as an alternative username, the email address will also be transferred to this owner. How to avoid this:
If you lose your SIM card, go to your mobile provider to restore it.
If you have changed your phone number, disconnect the old number and connect a new one on the Mobile numbers page.