Freezing and archiving inactive mailboxes
If you haven't used your mailbox for more than 24 months, Yandex has the right to freeze it and then archive it (Paragraph 2.3 in the User Agreement). This means that new messages are not delivered and your mailbox can't be accessed from mail clients. However, your previous email will be kept.
What to do if your mailbox is frozen
For 6 months from the time the mailbox is frozen, you can unfreeze it without losing the contents, settings, and address book.
To restore a frozen mailbox:
- Click Yes, unfreeze. This will open your unfrozen mailbox, where Yandex will restore all emails and settings.
If you no longer need the mailbox and email in it, you can delete it. In this case, you won't be able to restore email or settings.To delete a frozen mailbox:
- Click No, delete forever.
- Confirm your choice by clicking Delete. In this case, the mailbox will be deleted and you'll be redirected to the Yandex.Passport page.
What to do if the mailbox is archived
The mailbox is archived if Yandex has previously frozen it and you haven't unfrozen it within 6 months. In this case only your emails and created folders are archived. The mailbox and all settings, including labels and the address book, are deleted.
You can unarchive your mailbox at any time:
- Click Restore email archive. You'll be redirected to your new mailbox with the previous name, where Yandex will restore all your email and folders.
If you no longer need your archived email, you can delete it permanently:
- Click Delete email archive.
- To confirm, click Yes, delete. In this case, all archived email will be deleted, and you'll be redirected to the Yandex.Mail page with an empty mailbox.