How to evaluate performance of video ads
You can view ad campaign reports after your ads start being served. Regularly review the statistics to evaluate the effectiveness of your campaign.
Which metrics to track
It is important to assess target audience reach and user interest in the video.
- Key metrics for video performance
Views by quartiles — The number of views of 25%, 50%, 75%, or 100% of the video.
- Percentage of views by quartiles — The number of views of 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% of the video, divided by the total number of video impressions.
- Average cost per view of 100% of video (CPV): The average cost per video view. It is calculated as the ratio of spending to the number of 100% completed video views.
- Mute or unmute clicks — The number of times “Unmute” and “Mute” were clicked.
- Reach — The number of unique users who have watched the video. It is calculated based on the history of impressions on different user devices (smartphones, tablets, and PCs).
- Average impression rate — The average number of ad contacts per user. It is calculated as the ratio of the number of views to the reach.
How to create a report
Click the View statistics link on the campaign page. In the Report wizard, create a report:
- Choose “For selected period”.
To see the inventory used to serve the video, select the slice Type of inventory.
- Avg. impression frequency
- Total expenditure (rubles)
- 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% completed
- Percentage of 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% completed
- Average CPM (rubles)
- Average CPV for 100% completed (rub.)
- Mute clicks
- Unmute clicks
In the report, you will see:
- Media reach produced by advertising.
- How well the video engages the audience.
- How users interacted with the video.
How to make decisions based on statistics
- How to increase video impressions
- Check the user profile: your ad may be too narrowly targeted.
- How to compare videos
Unlike performance campaigns, video ads in the same ad group are served evenly. You can compare videos by the number of complete views and clicks: they show user interest in the video. Add the Ad/banner № cross-section and 100% completed and Clicks columns, and compare the metrics per video.
- How to improve advertising materials
See how effectively the video engages the audience. The quartile view statistics show user interest in certain parts of the video. For example, if the majority of users have watched a quarter of the video but the main message is in the middle, try to adjust your story. If a video is interesting and engaging from the start, users are more likely to watch it to the end.
Information about the video audience
- Segment reach and user distribution by gender, age, and device type.
- Online interests and categories of users (homemakers, students, parents, and so on).
- Percentage of users in the segment who visited your website or completed Yandex Metrica goals on it.
To learn more, see Yandex Audience Help.