Moderation requirements for banners
Follow the recommendations to make sure your banner passes moderation on the first try.
- Prohibited subjects
- Banners in the following categories are not accepted for placement on the Yandex Home page:
- magic and esotericism
- religious items and services
- debt collection services
- funeral products and services
- dating websites or marriage agencies
- services of detectives and private security companies
- products and services for adults (such as sex toys and erotic materials);
- Firearm accessories.
- Products similar in construction to weapons and their accessories.
- Military subjects (transportation of military personnel, legal assistance in obtaining a military ID, and so on);
- website optimization and SEO services
- disinfection and pest control services
- certain financial services and training courses on them (microfinancing, loan offers from individuals, binary options, Forex dealer activities, transactions with Forex dealers, etc.);
- other topics that do not comply with Yandex editorial policy
This list is not exhaustive and can be changed by Yandex at any time.
- Notices and restrictions
All information required by legislation and the Yandex Ad Serving Rules must be present in the creative, including age restrictions and notices. It must be clearly visible and easy to read.
You can't place meaningful information and disclaimers in the upper part of the banner (for example: an age label can't be placed in the upper-right corner). Because this information is overlapped by system elements, for example, the menu icon, the banner will be rejected.
- Texts, website, link to site
- Banner design
- Banners must not contain standard user interface elements (cursor, search bar, buttons, and so on) that do not perform their applicable functions.
- The creative can't have a frame or border.
- The background must not be transparent.
A banner that fully meets the above recommendation is subject to an additional user perception check: the banner is benchmarked against the reference banners approved by our designers. If a banner gets a high rating based on the benchmarking results, it's likely that it will appeal to the target audience.
- Banner display
The banner must meet the following rendering recommendations:
Don't use graphical elements with fast movement, flashing elements, or blinking backgrounds.
Blinking is defined as changes in the color, saturation or brightness by more than 40% that occurs with a frequency of more than once every two seconds.Fast movement is a change in the location of an element on the creative over more than 100% of the element size or 50% of the banner size in one second.
These are examples, rather than strict criteria for banner compliance with Yandex requirements. A creative with the above issues will most likely be rejected. However, there may be cases when a banner with fewer changes is identified as annoying, and vice versa, a banner with more changes might pass moderation. The decision is made individually in each case.
The time it takes to switch between frames should be sufficient to read all of the text shown on that frame.
- Don't use graphic elements with poor quality, such as distorted or low-resolution images (with visible pixels), low-fi or noisy images, or images with compression artifacts.
The advertised site must open in a new window (and only open after a user clicks on the HTML5 banner).
HTML5 banners should display correctly and work the same way for all users on all platforms throughout the ad campaign in the following browsers: Yandex Browser 14 and higher, Google Chrome 14 and higher, Mozilla Firefox 14 and higher, Opera 14 and higher, Internet Explorer 9 and higher, and Microsoft Edge.
In HTML5, you can't use video or audio clips, script behavior that is annoying or malicious (like scripts that launch pop-ups or spoof IP addresses), browser extensions or plugins (Adobe Flash and others). The banner source code should not be obfuscated, meaning it should not be difficult to analyze.
- Duration of animation
- Do not use blinking banners or banner elements that distract the user.
- Banner elements may change no more than once every 2 seconds.
- On the freeze frame, the banner must display the main advertising message.
- An HTML5 banner can feature the View again button for restarting the animation scenario. An HTML5 banner can be interactive and respond to mouse movement and/or banner clicks to change the banner image in response to the action.
- Additional requirements for a Large banner
The margin between the edge of the banner and the text or button must be at least 30pt (except for the bottom of the banner). This restriction doesn't apply to the age label.
Notices and legal information mustn't occupy one or more frames of the banner.
See design examples for a Large banner on the Yandex Home page.