Chats for Android
The Chats for Android app is available in Google Play. It supports all the features that are available in the browser version except full-text search.
Creating a chat
To create a chat:
- Click on the main screen in the app.
- Enter a name for the chat (the description is optional).
- Start typing the name of a department, team, or person in Add participants to this chat, then choose from the list.
- Click Create a chat.
To create a private chat on a specific person's screen in the contacts:
- Click .
- Click Contacts.
- Start typing a first or last name in Search for people to find the person you want to chat with.
- Click the picture or name of the person, then click . Chats creates a new private chat, or opens an existing one.
In chat messages, you can:
- Share an image or file. To do this, click and choose what you want to do.
- Tag a chat participant. To do this, type “@” and immediately begin typing the user's email address (without a space). Chats shows a list of participants with addresses that start with the same letters. Select the name you are looking for, and the tag appears in the text box.
Managing group chats
Click in the chat to open the settings and information about participants.
If you were added to the chat but you weren't designated as the admin, you can:
- Choose your notification settings for this chat in the Notifications list: enable or disable notifications, or only get notified when you are tagged.
- The Notifications option shows whether you are receiving notifications for this chat or not.
- The Show button lets you choose whether Chats should send you notifications for every message in a chat, or only for the ones where you are tagged.
- View the list of participants.
- Leave the chat – click .
If you were designated as the chat admin or you created this chat, you can also:
- Change the name and description for the chat (click Edit).
- Add or remove any chat participant, and assign someone as the chat admin (click a name to open the menu).
To leave a chat that you created, first you need to remove all the other participants.
On the Settings tab, you can:
- Make notification settings that apply to all chats.
- Clear the cache where all the images you have received are stored. If you re-open a chat with images, Chats will download them again.
- Turn off sound or vibration for notifications.
- Exit Chats.
General notification settings
Some of the notification settings apply to all the chats that you participate in. Open the Settings tab and click Notifications to see the available options:
- Notify me about new messages – Turn off this option if you don't want to receive any notifications for this account on this device.
- Show message text – Turn off this option if you don't want Chats to show the text of messages in notifications (for example, this means that no one will be able to see the content of your messages on the screen of a locked phone).