Yandex requirements for honest mailing lists
The present document describes what “Yandex” considers to be an honest mailing list. This is not a public offer and it does not imply any obligations for Yandex or its email service to services that perform mass distribution of emails.
The document reflects the industry-specific best practices of major ISPs and email services and complies with ASTA regulations and recommendations as well as with “Internet Usage Rules”. The algorithm of distinguishing mailing lists and spam is proprietary information of Yandex and is not meant for publication or discussion.
Requirements for honest mailing lists:
- (Mandatory) A recipient can be added to a mailing list only with their explicit request or agreement.
- (Mandatory) The email address of the recipient must be explicitly confirmed by the recipient themselves.
- The addresses of recipients must be validated before being added to the mailing list.
- (Mandatory) Each message must contain clear instructions on how to unsubscribe from the mailing list. Users must be able to unsubscribe without performing any complicated steps such as password recovery, registration, or authorization. It must not take more than 10 minutes for a recipient to unsubscribe.
- The message body must explicitly display the recipient's address.
- (Mandatory) The message must have the
list-unsubscribeheader formatted according to the RFC standard. Once a user follows the link in this header, the unsubscription procedure must be performed immediately.
- (Mandatory) All links to unsubscribe that are shown in the message must be valid.
- Message header:
- The message subject must be clear to a user and must not be confusing or misleading.
- The subject must be the same in all messages within the mailing list.
- (Mandatory) The From field must display the actual email address associated with the originator of the mailing list. If the messages coming to this address are handled by a software bot, then the reply messages must contain clear and precise instructions on how to contact your technical support.
- Proper network identification:
- (Mandatory) The software which utilizes mailing lists must also analyze the replies. If the target email server sends notification that a user does not exist, then the user must be removed from the mailing list.
- (Mandatory) The host which utilizes mailing lists must be assigned a static IP address with properly configured reverse DNS lookup. The registration data of the domain owner must be valid and publicly available through the WHOIS protocol.
- For proper identification, the domain name must be informative rather than automatically generated similar to
- The host utilizing the mailing list must not be used for sending ordinary messages.
- (If the previous requirement cannot be met.) The domain name specified in the From field must not be used for sending ordinary messages and must clearly identify the originator of the email. For instance, the notifications about new posts on the forum hosted on domain example.ru should be sent from subdomain forum.example.ru while the newsletter subscription should come from news.example.ru, etc.
- (Mandatory) All messages must be signed using the DKIM or DMARC key (or, alternatively, the SPF record must be configured on the domain).
- Other requirements:
- Changing information about the sender or a landing page for any links in the messages is prohibited.
- It is not recommended to use short URLs.
- All links in the message text must be provided in full domain name format rather than in the form of IP addresses or URL encoded domain names.
- (Mandatory) A message must contain standard headers used for mass or automated distribution of emails, e.g.,
list-unsubscribe, etc.). All links in a message must allow unsubscribing automatically.
- The headers and general format of a message must comply with the requirements of RFC 5322 and the MIME standard. A message must also contain valid
- The actual encoding must be specified in each part of a message. Messages containing multiple texts in various encodings are not allowed.