Configure pre-filling forms
You can configure a form so that when it's opened, specified values are automatically inserted into fields or certain responses are pre-selected.
You can use pre-filling forms:
- To suggest responses that you think are preferable or most likely.
- To pass auxiliary or technical parameters to hidden fields in the form, like if you want to gather statistics.
Let's say you created a form for taking orders in an online store. To attract customers, you asked a well-known blogger to write a marketing post with a link to the order form.
To find out how many customers made an order using the link from that post, add an “Order source” hidden field to your form. Add a GET parameter to the link that will be posted, and the parameter value will automatically be sent to the hidden field. Then you can see how many responses have this order source.
To configure a hidden parameter for this example:
- Add a prompt of the “Integer” type named “Order source”.
- Turn on Hidden question for this prompt.
- In the Question ID field, specify
sourceas the GET parameter name.
- Get a link to the form and append the GET parameter
?source=1to the end of the URL.
- Put a link to the form with the GET parameter in the marketing post.
- When a user clicks the link in the post, the “Order source” hidden field automatically gets the
1value. By this value in the response, you can tell which orders you got as a result of the post.