Free antivirus software
To ensure that your computer is always protected, install an antivirus program with regular updates of its virus databases. It is best to set up the antivirus program to constantly monitor the behavior of the programs running on your computer.
If you cannot install a paid antivirus program, use one of the following free programs listed below. Most of these programs are trial versions of paid antivirus programs with reduced functionality. But even a reduced antivirus program is better than none.
Free antivirus programs:
If the virus is completely blocks the computer
If the virus completely blocks the operating system, you can use the image of the boot disk with an virus scanner:
To scan your computer using a startup disk:
- Download the disk image to another infected computer.
- Save it to the desired media (CD/DVD or Flash drive).
- Reboot the infected computer by inserting or attaching prepared media.
- Enter the BIOS when you boot the computer. To do this, you typically need to press a certain key, usually F2, Del or Esc. To find out which key to press, you can boot up your computer and check the prompts at the bottom of the screen (for example, “"Press F2 to run SETUP”).
- Set up the Boot Sequence in the BIOS of the infected computer so that the computer will immediately load from the media you record.
- Reboot the computer. This time it should boot from the media and run the antivirus.
- Run the scan and wait until the antivirus fully scans the system and removes the viruses found.
- Remove the boot disk and restart your computer. Return the original Boot Sequence settings if you changed them.
- Once you treat the computer, install an antivirus program right away.
Programs against malicious advertising
If instrusive and shocking advertisements appear in your browser, promotional tabs open, or your are redirected to unwanted websites, use anti-malware software to check your operating system: