Widgets and vertical services
Widgets enable quick access to news, weather forecasts, traffic data, and other information most often viewed in the browser. Vertical services let you quickly navigate to Zen publications, images, videos, online games, and other Yandex products selected specifically for you.
What is a widget?
Widgets are cards that are joined together in a horizontal feed. They appear under the SmartBox when you open a new tab.
By default, the cards in the feed are collapsed and they display a brief summary of the news, weather forecast, traffic data, etc. If you swipe the feed left or tap upon any widget, all cards are expanded to show more details.
The following widgets are available:
- Weather (local forecast for today)
- News (the five top news items and local news)
- Traffic (road congestion and map of traffic levels)
- Market quotes (dollar and euro exchange rates, oil prices).
By default, widgets are enabled in the browser.
Actions with widgets
- Collapse or expand widgets
To collapse your widgets, tap the icon.
If the widgets don't open automatically, tap .
- Disable widgets
- Tap in the browser (if you don't see this button, press the menu button on your smartphone).
- Tap Settings.
- Disable Display Yandex widgets on the Browser main screen in the Yandex widget section.
The panel of vertical services appears under the widgets when you switch to a new tab. To open a service, just tap on its name.
Use this panel for quick access to personalized selections that Yandex recommends based on your interests:
- Zen. Personalized Zen recommendations feed.
- Images. Feed of recommended images from Yandex.Images.
- Games. A feed of online games you can play on your smartphone without installing them. Most of the games are also available offline (code for these games is added to the smartphone cache the first time you play).
- Efir. Recommended videos from Yandex.Efir.
- Sports. Feed of recommended sports news.