Protection against SMS fraud
Cases of internet fraud often occur when a user sees an interesting offer and sends a payment to hackers, or signs up for a paid service when they register on a site using their mobile phone or send an SMS to a mobile number. Yandex.Browser tracks fraudulent sites and blocks them.
Examples of SMS fraud
The situations described below may occur if you visit fraudulent or infected sites (please note that a website that was secure yesterday may be infected today). They may also be the result of malware on your computer.
- Registration on a website via your mobile phone
- The site asks you to enter your mobile phone number under various pretexts. For example, the site asks for your number to register on the site or to prove that you are not a robot, to activate software updates, to prevent your social network account from being blocked, and so on.
You receive an activation code on your phone and are asked to enter it on the site.
- By entering the activation code, you activate a paid subscription.
- A small amount of money starts being deducted from your phone account every day.
- Sending a message from your phone to a mobile number
- You are asked to send a text message (SMS) from your mobile phone to a number shown on the site.
You send the text message. The cost of sending the message is higher than the normal rate to send an SMS. In addition, the website may not contain any information on prices, or this information is hidden away in an unnoticeable location on the site.
Immediately after the SMS is sent to a mobile telephone number, your mobile phone account will be charged a certain amount. In some cases, money starts being withdrawn on a daily basis.
Blocking fraudulent websites
Yandex monitors websites connected with SMS fraud and phishing, and stores their URLs in a special database. If you try to go to one of these sites, classic Yandex.Browser blocks the dangerous page and notifies you of this.
We strongly recommend that you do not visit this type of website. Visiting these types of resources can be dangerous for the following reasons:
- If you do, you will be asked to perform actions that will result in money being debited from your mobile phone account. There might not be a message warning you that a fee is charged for using the service, or the message may be difficult to find.
- It is likely that you will not receive the services you paid for at all or they will not be delivered exactly as promised.
- Instead of receiving the promised earnings or winnings, you lose the money you paid for the fake service.
- If you enter your card number or other e-payment data, money may be stolen from your account.
Additional security measures
The Protect system's database of infected and fraudulent websites contains more than 80,000 websites. However, some websites might not be included in the database if no complaints were received about it. Take the following precautions to protect yourself from hackers:
- Do not enter your mobile phone number on sites that you do not completely trust.
- Do not send messages from your phone to numbers shown on websites.
- Avoid transferring any personal data or data required for e-payments (bank card numbers, PIN codes etc.).
To disable malware protection:
- In the lower half of the Settings page, click Show advanced settings.
- In the Privacy section, disable the Enable protection from malicious websites and software option.
- Restart the browser to apply the changes.
If Yandex blocks your website
If you believe that your website has been mistakenly included in the list of websites suspected of internet fraud, please contact us using the feedback form.