Protect: protected mode
Protected mode is a mode that Yandex.Browser enables on pages of banks and payment systems to make electronic payments safer. In protected mode the browser enables a strict check of certificates. If the certificate is OK, the browser disables the extensions and changes the interface. Protected mode is part of the Protect integrated security system.
In protected mode, Yandex.Browser enables a strict check of HTTPS certificates. Protected mode is not enabled if:
- There are problems with a certificate; for example, a bank certificate is outdated, invalid or untrusted.
- An unknown certificate installed in the operating system is used by the program or network administrator.
- A certificate installed by special software is used.
In protected mode, Yandex.Browser disables all extensions other than password managers verified by Yandex. This is to prevent malicious extensions from stealing or tampering with your payment information.
The extensions are re-enabled when you exit protected mode.
Enabling the mode
Protected mode is enabled by default when payment pages are open. The browser’s upper panel and tabs also turn dark gray, and the name of the mode and the icon appear in the right half of the SmartBox.
If you have opened an online payment page and don’t see changes in the interface, enable protected mode manually.
You can add any page that uses HTTPS to the list for enabling protected mode.
- In the right part of SmartBox, click any Protect toolbar icon.
- Click the More info link in the section where connection status displays in the window that appears.
- In the Permissions section, enable the Protected mode option.
Disabling the mode
If you have enabled protected mode on a page by mistake, disable it:
- On the right side of the SmartBox, click .
- In the Protected mode section, change the setting to Off.
To fully disable protected mode:
- Tap .
- Go to the Security tab at the top of the page.
- In the Privacy section, disable the Open online-banking and payment-system pages in Protected mode option.