Sending data to the server by the browser
Yandex Browser needs to send data to the server for:
- Performing technical tasks, such as increasing the data transfer speed or phishing protection.
- Collecting statistics on browser usage, along with debugging data.
Data transfer to the server can be:
- Enabled by default.
- Initiated after the user turns on a browser function.
- Performed as part of browser features.
All the situations when data transfer to the server is enabled are listed below. If you want to block data exchange with the server in any of the situations described below, disable the corresponding function in the Settings (to go to Settings, click).
Sending data by default
Data transfer is enabled by default for the following browser features:
- Sending crash reports. Crash reports are sent to the server if the browser or individual components close unexpectedly. You can choose not to Send reports in the Privacy section of Settings. We ask that you not disable this setting because these reports help developers fix errors.
- Protection against malware and malicious sites If you visit a suspicious site, the browser sends the prefix of the webpage's address to the server.The Yandex condensed database of malware and phishing sites is downloaded to your computer. The condensed database contains the prefixes of addresses of dangerous pages. Before opening a page, the browser calculates the address hash and then checks the hash prefix against the local database. If there is a match, the browser sends the server the prefix of the requested page and gets a response with the full hashes of malicious pages that start with this prefix. If the list of dangerous pages has the hash of the requested page, the page is blocked.
Additionally, whenever you download a file, the browser checks it for malware. Information about the file, the history of the tab the file was downloaded from, and certain other data is sent to the server while the file is being checked.
You can disable protection from malicious sites and malware in the Privacy section of Settings.Note. We don't recommend disabling it, because Yandex Browser will stop blocking pages on infected and phishing sites. This makes your computer vulnerable to infection by malware.
- Navigation error help. If you enter a non-existent website address, the browser sends this address to the Yandex server. The Yandex web service helps you find the desired page or suggests viewing a saved copy of the website if the page was deleted and its copy was saved. You can disable the feature that allows you to work with navigation errors in the Privacy section of Settings.
- Autofill for forms. The browser can remember your name, address, email, phone number and other information when you enter it for the first time, so that you can complete forms with just one click. This information is not sent to the server. However, if the browser asks the server for information about what the form fields mean, the form's address is sent to the server. Autofill can be disabled in the Passwords and forms section of Settings.
Sending data after the user activates a feature
The following features initiate data transfer only after the user has activated them:
- Sending statistics. If you enable sending statistics, depersonalized data about browser usage will be transmitted to Yandex. This information will help to identify problem areas in the Yandex Browser interface, kernel, and other components, along with problems in other Yandex servers.
Sending data when features are used
The following features transmit data only while they are in use:
- Browser installation. The browser sends information about the installation process, such as the time needed to download a file.
- Updates. The browser periodically requests information about updates from Yandex servers and transfers some technical data to the server.
- Calculating the number of users. Completely depersonalized information is periodically sent to the server in order to count the total number of Yandex Browser users.
- Uninstall the browser. Personalized technical information about the system is not sent.